Saturday, December 18, 2010

Christmas Thumbprint Cookies

This will be the last post on some of my favorite holiday treats, although there are many, many more I'd love to share sometime!! This cookie is another very colorful one, which is one of my favorite reasons to make it. It also happens to be Jeremy's MOST favorite Christmas goody.
Once again, my trusted helper is assisting me in our cookie making session. .And doesn't she look to be taking her job so seriously!!
These cookies get rolled into little balls just like the peppermint kiss cookies. Then rolled in slightly beaten egg white and covered in either shredded coconut (my favorite) or chopped nuts. .I love using pecans in my cooking, but I have always used walnuts in this recipe, take your choice.
Bake for 5 minutes and take them out long enough to make a crater in the top of your cookie with your thumb. .or multiple fingers (cause your thumb gets pretty warm after several cookies). This crater will hold your icing when they are done, so be sure not to poke a hole through the bottom. Bake for another 5 minutes and then cool them.
Watch your helpers. .the candies can rapidly and unexplainedly make their way into little mouths instead of on the cookies. .causing them to forget that they were working.
This year I tried a different icing from a similar cookie recipe. I really liked it better than my
normal powder sugar glaze.
Combine 1/4 cup butter/margarine with
1 cup sifted powdered sugar and mix until blended. Add 1-2 tsp milk until thin enough to pipe into the hole, making a little star design. We placed the candy on top of the star of icing and the results were really pretty. In the past, when using the thinner confectioner sugar glaze, I drizzled lines of frosting across the cookie and candy, which made it look a little fancier (with fewer dishes to wash and less hassle. .if that suits you better)!
I've included the recipe for anyone that needs to try them out!

Thumbprint Cookies
1 cup butter or margarine
½ cup brown sugar
2 eggs, separated
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups flour
½ tsp salt
chopped nuts and coconut
Peanut M & Ms

Cream butter and sugar. Stir in egg yolk and vanilla extract. Stir in flour and salt to creamed mixture and mix till well blended. Using about 1 tsp of dough, roll into 1 inch balls. Dip each ball into slightly beaten egg white. Roll in chopped nuts or shredded coconut. Place on ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 350 for 5 minutes. Remove from oven and quickly press thumb gently on top of each cookie. Return to oven and bake 5 minutes more. Cool on rack. Fill each thumbprint with icing (mix confectioners sugar with vanilla and milk to make a glaze). Top with M & M Yields: about 2 dozen. .I normally double the recipe. .they freeze well, though if frozen with the candy on them. .the colors change subtly. .but not enough to bother me or our cookie plates. .and it's easier to pull them out of the freezer in the quantity you need to add to the plate without having to stop to decorate them up.
We're havin' a little Christmas this weekend with my family (provided we missed the epidemic of stomach flu in the area. .I'm typing this on Wednesday) and are looking forward to the Christmas countdown next week! Wishin' you all yummy cookies, great sales, a never ending scotch tape roll, and many twinkling thoughts as Christmas continues to march closer!!

3 comments:

  1. Hope you're enjoying your family gathering and those cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look like a lot of fun to make. :) I think we're going to tackle the peppermint hershey kiss cookies sometime this week. Thanks for sharing all the recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been looking for a recipe like this for awhile. A client of mine makes these every year and I could never find a similar recipe. I made these last week and loved them! I will definitely use this recipe again. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete