Friday, October 15, 2010

Harvest Munchies

I just HAD to share one of our favorite fall recipes with you. .especially in time for a little weekend munching!  I found this recipe many years ago, I think in a taste of home publication.  It was a great hit, and found its way into our home at least once each season!  The recipe is listed out at the bottom. 
This time I made 1 1/2 times the recipe--which worked perfectly with the bag size of the pretzels and two boxes of ritz bits.  I used my big roaster pan instead of the cookie sheets.
Cookin' up the butter (I actually used real butter this time--I usually just use margarine), sugar and syrup.
Mix it all together, being a little careful not to smash the peanut butter crackers--they are a bit delicate--and stick her in the oven for a roast.
After you stir and roast; and stir and roast; take it out and toss the candies in the pot.  It looks really cool if you can find fall colored m & m's--but I couldn't this year--And I hate to admit, that I HAVE, in the past, picked out the undesirable colors--but not this time--everything went!

This mix is good for picking out each piece individually and nibbling them one by one, or throwing a whole handful in your mouth at once, making sure that you have a piece of everything in there.  Try it out...It's easy--and your people will love you!

Halloween Party Mix
11 oz pretzels (mini)
10 ½ oz box Ritz Bits peanut butter crackers
1 cup dry roasted peanuts
1 cup sugar
½ cup butter
½ cup light corn syrup
2 tbsp vanilla
1 tsp baking soda
10 oz M & M’s (Plain)
18 ½ oz candy corn
In large bowl mix pretzels, crackers, and peanuts. In a large saucepan, mix sugar, butter and syrup. Bring to a boil and boil for 5 minutes. Remove from heat, stir in vanilla and soda (mixture will foam). Pour over cracker mixture and stir until coated. Pour into a greased sheet cake pan. Bake at 250 for 45 min stirring every 10-15 min. Break apart while warm, toss with candies and cool completely. Store in airtight container.

Warning: This must not be consumed while mindlessly munching and watching TV. .or reading. .or anything else for that matter.  It has been reported to be addictive and may add unwanted creases to certain areas of your body, in which case, consumption may not be advised for everyone.  Children should have adult supervision while partaking of this treat. .and then again. .so should adults!!
Ah Heck. .Just know that you're GONNA love it, and it might make you fat. .so enjoy a walk in the crisp fall air after you consume the whole pot!
Enjoy!!

4 comments:

  1. OMG!!! This looks awesome. Maybe best to make it and take it somewhere so many people can share. I'm copying this off to try later. Yum-O!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm totally printing this off. I'm going to serve this as snack sometime soon! I bet it will be a hit! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks delicious to munch on!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the recipe!
    I made a batch of this today and it is awesome.

    ReplyDelete