Thursday, June 18, 2009

Reflections From Camp Lakeside

Hello all! Well, I have come out on the other side!! I have finally made it through the last 3 weeks of unbelievable scheduling, and I am basking in the light of day!! The morning has gone smoothly here at the family planning clinic, and we are hoping for a smooth afternoon too. We returned from 4-H camp last night right before the weather turned really questionable! Will post pictures later, but wanted to post the daily list of reflections I made while we were gone for camp! We certainly had a blast!

Reflections from Day 1--
--If you take 1/2 of your car passengers on a 3 day, 500 mile adventure and return them the night before you take them to camp, the ride is much quieter.

--You can fix a lot of things with hydrocortisone cream and antibiotic ointment.

--There ARE children worse than your own--guaranteed!!

Reflections from Day 2--
--They make coffee that comes in a box. . . with a spigot on it to use in a dispensing machine (You know, like the machines you get milk and juice out of at motels?) This is what they served at camp--It's NASTY!!

--Canoeing is like riding a bike--once you know how, you never forget.

--If you should choose to go canoeing, you should always sit in the back--up on the little tiny seat, so as to protect your toosh from lake water.

--Providing CPR to the demising fishing bait is NOT in my job description!!

--Girls will spend all afternoon washing and fixing hair and doing nails before the dance, boys will show up with a nice, clean shirt and the dirty shorts they wore all day, that don't match. Some of them combed their hair--and many of them (mine included) you could smell coming (up-wind) because of the Axe cologne they shot on!

--You can SERIOUSLY embarrass a 12 year old child by doing the John Travolta dance technique during the song "Staying Alive" at the camp dance. OOO OOO OOO OOO, staying alive, staying alive!! Oh, sorry--I was lost in the memory.

Reflections from day 3--
--You can send 3-4 sets of clothes to camp. . . But if you have boys, they will only wear one. . . ALL BOYS!! (I have suspected this for years, but now I can finally prove it!) However, if you have girls. . . many, MANY clothes changes per day!

--It doesn't matter how many times you look around before you leave, or how many times you ask them if they have gotten EVERYTHING. . . someone ALWAYS forgets SOMETHING!!

--Kids will try very hard to spend every cent of money their parents sent with them. . . even it means loading up on chocolate bars at the gas station where you stopped to pee!

--Grant will be the one who looks after his mom in her old age! (that kid was checking on me many times throughout the day)

--It doesn't matter how young you are or how old, you ALWAYS make special friends that touch your heart!

They asked me to come back next year--I had such a fantastic time. . . I just think I will! (and my kids are even OK with that!) Will post more later about the activities that took place there!

--

4 comments:

  1. I'm totally sitting here laughing my ass off right now!! About half those I see J and T in...dirty clothes, ax cologne, forgetting things!!!
    Thank you for going and thank you for doing everything you do! 4-H and otherwise!! You rock! =-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mel, you make me laugh! I know exactly how a junior high boy acts (except mine's a sibling, so I believe it makes it easier to poke fun at)...but sometimes I wonder about their thoughts! Glad you had a good time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can totally see you doing the John Travolta dance technique. Your poor kids!! :) I need to get my kids in 4-H. I would love to go back to 4-H camp. Those were the days.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hilarious! Yup, I know all about those stinky three-days-in-a-row wardrobes. Boys are wierd.

    ReplyDelete