Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Track Reflections

T made it past his first track meet ever. He seemed in good spirits when he got home. Said something like "it was fun." Several of his coaches mentioned that he was a nervous wreck all day, and I could tell it even this morning. He did high jump, discus, and the 4 X 200 relay. C and I went for a couple hours before I had to get back for call. We witnessed the high jump, which unfortunately didn't take long. He didn't measure off his step first, and jumped from the wrong side all three times because he didn't know that he could ask the people on the other side (where he normally jumps from) to move while he jumped. So three times he crashed right through the bar. Discus went better for him but his best throw was a scratch. I think he was pleased with that throw. I missed the relay, but he said it went fine. Next week they have an actual 6th grade division, so hopefully it will go a little better. I believe this was a learning lesson for me too. There are just so many things in life that we CAN'T help our kids with lest we ruin the life lessons they have to learn. Sometimes it is painfully hard to watch. Like my friend Bam says "it's like watching a train wreck, you know what's going to happen, but you have to watch it anyway!" He'll grow up just fine no doubt--but junior high seems such an awkward stage for kids. Let the metamorphisis begin! All the kids today looked so much more grown up--I still think of them as little kids. They are quickly growing up! Most days that is good, some days that is bad, THIS day it is just a mother's reality check!

No comments:

Post a Comment