This is what we were all feeling like by the end of the day set aside for fair baking. .
A little CRAZY!
I always like for the boys to take two items. .
I don't know why. .
I just do.
They were both going to make yeast breads. .
So the second recipe I wanted them to do was allowably (by me) simpler.
And MY new love. .
Is homemade cupcakes with real butter cream.
I also happened to have many recipes pinned on Pinterest.
He got the equivalent of a purple ribbon on both his Oatmeal Wheat Bread and these Cherry Almond Vanilla cupcakes. .
Grant also took some photos and horticulture exhibits.
I'd be glad to share the bread recipe with anyone who might like it. .
But I knew that these cupcakes were different. .
And easy enough for anyone to fix. .
We got the recipe from Better Homes and Gardens.
Look out though. .
As awesome as he felt he did decorating these. .
He'll be up on Cupcake Wars reality show soon!
Cherry Almond Vanilla Cupcakes
1/2 cup butter
4 egg whites
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 cup buttermilk or sour milk
1/3 cup maraschino cherry juice
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
12 maraschino cherries, halved
1 recipe Cherry-Almond Butter Frosting
Maraschino cherries with stems (optional)
- Allow butter and egg whites to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, line twenty-four 2-1/2-inch muffin cups with paper bake cups (or coat with cooking spray). In a medium bowl stir together flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda. In a 2-cup glass measuring cup combine buttermilk and cherry juice; set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large mixing bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add sugar, vanilla, and almond extract; beat until combined. Add egg whites, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Alternately add flour mixture and buttermilk mixture to beaten mixture, beating on low speed after each addition just until combined.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups, filling each about two-thirds full. Use the back of a spoon to smooth out batter in cups. Press a cherry half into batter in each cup.
- Bake for 15 to 18 minutes or until tops spring back when lightly touched. Cool cupcakes in muffin cups on wire racks for 5 minutes. Remove cupcakes from tins. Cool completely on wire racks.
- Using a pastry bag fitted with a large star tip, Pipe frosting over the cupcakes. If desired, top with cherries. Makes 24 (2-1/2-inch) cupcakes.
Cherry-Almond Butter Frosting
1/2 cup of butter, softened
4 cups of powdered sugar
3 tablespoons of maraschino cherry juice or milk
1/2 teaspoon of almond extract
In a large mixing bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth. Gradually add 1 cup of the powdered sugar, beating well. Beat in maraschino cherry juice and almond extract. Gradually beat in additional powdered sugar. If necessary, beat in additional juice or milk, 1 teaspoon at a time, until frosting reaches spreading consistency.
Just like little rosebuds!!
The first batch we made. .
We popped a cherry on the top. .
But Grant HAD to draw the line there. .
No cherries for the fair exhibits. .
They weren't manly enough!!