Thursday, August 11, 2011

Apricot Bars

Last night we were able to sleep with the windows open for the first time in months. .a nice reminder that maybe the cooler fall weather will be here before long. I woke up at 3:52 a.m. to the the sound of a gentle rain hitting the tin roof. As I praised God in my sleepy wakefulness, the rain got harder and harder. No wind. .just glorious heavy rain. 20 minutes went by, then 40 then an hour. Truthfully, by that time I was wishing that I could get back to sleep!! When I got out to the rain gauge this morning we had 1.10 inches of rain, with a little bit still falling! How wonderful it was to appreciate the cool, damp weather! Cami still makes me laugh though. As we were headed into work/daycare. .she says "what are those 2 black things?" It took me a little bit to realize that she was asking about the windshield wipers that were going intermittently. HA!
We are so thankful for the moisture. .and also to see moisture hitting other parts of our state and into Oklahoma. We have also enjoyed temps in the 80's. .nearly 25-30 degrees lower than what they were last week! The next few days are still forecast to be upper 80's to mid 90's! Perfect!
I've been wanting to share this recipe for a while now, and am finally getting the opportunity to do so. This was one that Grant chose to take to the fair. He actually earned reserve grand champion over all food entries from every division (essentially second place) and got to sell them at the premium auction.
We've enjoyed them at least 6 times this summer. And even swapped raspberry preserves for the apricot. .but our final vote was that the apricot did taste better!
They are super easy to make. .The coconut lends a chewier texture. .but not an overpowering coconut flavor. Your family would love you if you fixed them up this weekend! Have a great weekend!

Apricot Bars
¾ cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1 egg
½ tsp vanilla extract
 2 cups flour
¼ tsp baking powder
1 1/3 cups flaked coconut
½ cup chopped walnuts
12 jar apricot preserves

Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg and vanilla. Combine the flour and baking powder; gradually add to the creamed mixture. Add the coconut and walnuts; mix thoroughly. Press 2/3 mixture into a greased 9X13 pan. Spread with the preserves. Crumble remaining dough over the preserves. Bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Cool in pan; cut into bars.

5 comments:

  1. I got so tickled about Cami asking about the wipers. Out of the mouths of babes! So glad you all got some rain. I love an afternoon of rain and a good book.
    I will definitely be trying out your recipe this weekend. It looks easy and yummy! Thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got these in the oven cooking RIGHT now!! YUM! They smell tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful rain! LOL about the windshiels wipers. :) And thanks for sharing the delicious-sounding recipe. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess I should probably tell you that I made these. They lasted all but 4 hours before they were gone. We may or may not have some impluse control issues around here. Anyway, they are delicious and I think I will be making another batch for an after school snack tomorrow! Can't believe IT'S HERE!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The apricot bars sounds so good, i will have to add it to my list of easy & fast treats. I missed your family yesterday and.... you missed out of the yummiest homemade ice cream last night... vanilla, chocolate, peach, chocolate peanut butter, almond flavor & chocolate cakes, cookies, Susan's peanut butter cake.... so so so good. The baptisms plus the cool breeze off the lake made the evening perfect.

    ReplyDelete