Wednesday, January 8, 2014

James. .Week 1. .Fast Fact


Hello, hello! 
Hope you’ve had a chance to read through the book of James already this week!!
I wanted to share another introduction for you to ponder over. .
What I really liked in this introduction written by Jack Zavada. .
was the way he concisely summarized the different themes and key verses in the book of James. .
verses that I think we are planning to get r-e-a-l-l-y familiar with over the next 4 weeks!!

The book of James is a concise, how-to guide on being a Christian. Although some Christians interpret James as proving that good works play a role in our salvation, this letter actually says that good works are the fruit of our salvation and will attract nonbelievers to the faith.

Author of the Book of James:
James, a major leader in the Jerusalem church, and the brother of Jesus Christ.

Date Written:

About 49 A.D., before the Jerusalem Council in 50 A.D. and before the destruction of the temple in 70 A.D.

Written To:

First century Christians scattered throughout the world, and future Bible readers.

Landscape of the Book of James:

This letter on spiritual themes gives practical advice for Christians everywhere, but especially for believers feeling pressure from society's influences.

Themes in the Book of James:

Faith that is alive is demonstrated by a believer's conduct. We should act out our faith in constructive ways. Trials will test every Christian. We become mature in our faith by facing temptations head-on and conquering them with God's help.

Jesus commanded us to love one another. When we love our neighbors and serve them, we imitate Christ's servant character.

Our tongue can be used to build or destroy. We are responsible for our words and must choose them wisely. God will help us control our speech and our actions as well.

Our wealth, however much or little, should be used to advance the Kingdom of God. We should not favor the wealthy nor mistreat the poor. James tells us to follow the advice of Jesus and store up treasures in heaven, through charitable works.

Key Characters in the Book of James:

The book of James is not an historical narrative detailing the acts of specific people, but a classical letter of advice to Christians and early churches.

Key Verses:

James 1:22
Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says. (
NIV)

James 2:26
As the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without deeds is dead. (
NIV)

James 4:7-8
Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you. Come near to God and he will come near to you. (
NIV)

James 5:19
My brothers, if one of you should wander from the truth and someone should bring him back, remember this: Whoever turns a sinner from the error of his way will save him from death and cover over a multitude of sins. (
NIV)

Outline of the Book of James:

• James instructs Christians on genuine religion - James 1:1-27.

• True faith is demonstrated by good deeds done for God and others - James 2:1-3:12.

• Authentic wisdom comes from God, not the world - James 3:13-5:20.

So. .today’s fast fact. .
If you had 24 hours all to yourself. .and unlimited resources. .WHAT would you do for the day. .
If I had 24 hours all to myself. .and no money constraints. .
I think. .I would hire a private plane. .
fly with my honey to NYC. .
stroll through Central park. .dine on some fabulous entrees. .
catch a broadway show. .enjoy a few cocktails. .
and cruise around the harbor enjoying the beautiful night lights of the big city. .
before falling back into the plane seat to snooze as we flew home!!
 I would totally squeeze every second out of the 24 hour day. .
 and make it count as though it were the last!! 
What about you??? Can’t wait to hear!

3 comments:

  1. hmmm... I have been thinking about this question A LOT!!!!...I think if money was no problem... I would arrange for everyone that shops in COLDWATER, any where, any store, restaurant..to have their bill paid, no questions asked, I would arrange for 5 people to get their teeth fixed, for free...can you imagine how their self esteem would increase,...I would have little mini cams installed so that I could secretly watch their reactions...from home...I would replace the sidewalk at my church, and install some new sound and video equipment...without any of the other members knowing...till Sunday...... I would arrange for some freezers to be filled with food...I would install a pool at home for me...with all the bells and whistles and heated and covered and such...have Jene cook something on the grill and swim....till my time is up....sweetly thinking of how lucky everyone would be for one day...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was having trouble with this one… I'm not a traveler so going someplace doesn't really appeal to me. So I guess this is what I would do with my unlimited resources… I would give each of my kids an envelope with money that would have enough for all college loans to be paid off and enough money to help them buy their dream home. I would build my mom a home here on our property so she could be close but have her own space. I would set up a college fund for my grand babies….. I would buy Luke Gean a new heart…I would get new carpet and kitchen flooring, put in my dream sliding glass doors, have the pergola built and finish the fire pit…. maybe I should buy a lottery ticket!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome ladies. .Thanks for sharing!! Enjoy your study of James!

    ReplyDelete