Hey everyone. .
A million things have happened here over the course of the week. .
But I'll spare you the details. .
and instead, switch gears a bit.
My brain has been in crafting mode for a little over a month. .
and a trip with some girlfriends to antique last weekend made it worse!
I'm dreaming up a few more little artsy projects to work on in the dead of winter here. .
But for now. .
I thought that you might enjoy a little look into the project of December!
Late last summer/early autumn. .
whilst hanging out on Pinterest one afternoon. .
I found a photo of some old boards glued together with a scripture verse on it.
As I was involved at the time with my sister and two sister in laws in a bible study. .
I decided that it would be cool to fix one for each of them with their mentioned favorite verses we had been studying. .
To give them in time for the end of our study. .
which was the week before our Christmas get together.
|Devin hammers in tiny upholstery tacks to look like "fly spots". .or something like that concept!|
I emailed my friend Sara. .
who knows all about stuff like this. .
to decide how the best way was to get the verses onto the boards.
She sent me back a link to get me started. .
and after googling and checking out similar techniques. .
I went to work.
|I'm too old to sit like that for as long as I did. .but you can see how the papers are laid out on the boards just as they will look when the letters are painted on.|
The first verse took me FOREVER to do on my computer. .
mostly trying to figure out the fonts, the sizes. .
and more than anything. .
figuring out how to "flip" the words into a mirror image. .
so when I got to transferring them to the boards they were legible.
After googling how to do this on the Word program I have. .
and a few practice runs at it. .
The subsequent verses were quick and easy to do!
|I used a wide flat brush to dampen the paper. .only doing about 3 letters at a time before rubbing the ink off onto the board.|
Tristan took some 8 foot lengths of 2 X 4's to wood class. .
where he ripped each board into two 1 X 4's and then cut them into 22 inch lengths. .
they could be any size. .but that is what we decided on and it worked well.
|This one went to my sister in law Stephanie|
You can see from above pictures how I put the print onto the boards.
I cut out each word. .and sometimes each letter. .
and placed them print side down on the board and arranged them as I wanted.
Taking a paint brush, I used enough water to paint over the back of the paper. .
to dampen it, but not to soak it.
Then taking the back end of the same paint brush, I scratched over the entire surface of the paper, to help rub off the ink. .
|My personal favorite verse was a favorite of my sister Kristi. .and this board was hers.|
It seriously worked better than I would have ever expected it too! A few areas were pretty faint, so using a tiny brush and some black paint, I tried to touch it up. .
so it was easier to read. .but not enough to look like paint. .
some areas worked really well. .
and some areas were complete failures!
|Tina couldn't pick one favorite. .and since she didn't know what I had in mind; I didn't press her for one. .Instead, choosing one of my favorites that I thought she would like. .This was her verse.|
after a coat of polyurethane so the ink didn't run off if hung in a humid location. .
they were done. .
Jeremy used small screws to the back of the sign and wired them together. .
and placed a wire horizontally across a back board to hang them. .
and VOILA. .
3 happy sisters!!
Tristan cut me some more board last week. .
so I am trying to decide on which verse I want to work up for ME!!
I was surprised at how quickly they came together!
Hoping today finds everyone healthy. .
with lots of blessings!!
Thanks for stopping by!