Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Pomegranate. .My New Love

We had a GREAT Christmas!! I have lots of photos (really??) to share. .but I just HAD to post this tonight, in the event that I can entice anyone to try this recipe out. Grandma brought this spinach salad starring pomegranate seeds for Christmas dinner. .and it was insanely divine!!
Now, I have to say that I have enjoyed pomegranate in alcoholic beverages. .and add the juice to my jalapeno jelly. .but I've never even seen a real pomegranate, much less eaten one. .until this week. My kids were wild about the seedy little devils too!! Tristan and I went to a funeral today out of town, and scored some of these little guys at Walmart! 
Here's the inside of one, for those poor souls that have never seen one. Not too pretty actually. 
I started out by cutting it in half and using a spoon to gather the seeds. .WRONG. Tristan showed up and told me that GRANDMA said. .cut it in quarters and pick out the seeds. .Hmmph! When I started kind of peeling the skin off the seeds, it did work much easier. .and you can see how beautiful those seeds are. .they look like popcorn kernels! And they are REALLY juicy. .I was squirted in the eye more than once.
So festive. .and pretty to look at. Poms are easily found during the Christmas season. .which is why I wanted to hurry and share the recipe. .so you can grab one while at the store to try in this salad!! We had to buy extra so the kids could devour them plain!! Which is ok, since they are loaded with antioxidants and everything healthy!! Enjoy!

Festive Spinach Salad

6-10 oz bag of fresh baby spinach
1/2 cup feta cheese
3 green onions (although Jeremy threw in 3 more for good measure when my back was turned. .it tasted fine)
3/4 cup pomegranate seeds (I threw in the seeds from one whole one. .it was a little over, but we like the juicy, crunchy little devils!)
1/2 cup glazed almond slivers (the original recipe didn't have these in it, I spotted them in the store and thought they would be good. .they were!)
1/3-1/2 cup Balsamic vinaigrette

Mix all the ingredients together except for the vinaigrette. .add it right before serving. You'll love it. .Promise!!

8 comments:

  1. Glad you had a great Christmas! The salad sounds YUM. Have to try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love pomegranates, I'm the only one around here that eats them, though. But they are GOOD. The salad sounds good, too. :) I'd be the only one eating that, too. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE Pomegranates? Really?? You'd never had one before?? They are delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pomegranates are fun and yummy too.
    Sometimes, I find the juice drinks too strong. Eating them is better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks so good. I have never had pomegranate either. Well.. That salad look really good and so pretty!
    Do you have to peel the seeds?
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love pomegranates! My youngest son is wild about them. Here in PA, they have always been available at the grocery store. They only come once a year though during November thru ...oh maybe January I think. Here's another tip for you...if you sorta push the skin inside out the seeds will just pop out so easy. It's hard to explain. The rounded part..hold the piece of pomegranate with both hands and then take your thumbs and push on the skin of the pomegranate turning the curved skin into a concave position. You will have greater and easier access to the seeds without them bursting. Also if you don't want to cut into them..you can get a cut started into the skin and wedge your thumbs into to cut and just pry the whole thing apart...it is so GRATIFYING it's not even funny! I love it! Try it with the next one you open.

    ReplyDelete
  7. P.S. I forgot to mention that this recipe looks sooooo delish! Spinach and the pomegranate seeds as well as the feta and glazed almond slivers...and balsamic vinagrette! I would eat the whole bowl!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. One more thing..ha ha! I never knew the trick of how to get the seeds out with ease by forcing the skin inside out until a few years ago!!! My hubby came home from work with one and said his co worker was eating one and he watched him do all this with ease. He showed me and I was like "oh yes!!! that's awesome!!"

    ReplyDelete