Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Flower Pot Crafts

Last Friday, I took the kids to the local nursing home to help the residents make Easter decorations.  They were so cute, I couldn't help but share the pictures. 
They started with small clay flower pots that someone had painted white.  Using small sponge sticks of varied sizes, the kids dipped them in different colors of paint and sponged designs onto the pots.
Even Cami enjoyed helping. .and her pot turned out pretty cute too. .with no rhyme or rhythm to it! She was very intent on doing a good job!
After the designs were sponged on, they painted glue onto the top lip of the pot and then sprinkled glitter on.
After the pots dry. .Easter grass will go in,
as you can see in the pot center bottom of the picture. Plastic easter eggs will settle nicely into the grass, and they will really make adorable table decorations!! I think they would look cute with goodies in them to give to someone special!
The kids and the residents had a great time working on the project together. .and a super lesson for the kids in working with older adults, challenged adults, and, in general, getting out of their own small worlds!! I sure like Easter coming a little later. .It's nice to enjoy the warm weather along with the holiday!

7 comments:

  1. Cute! Love the picture of Tristan, Cami, and Jacob.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute! So great of you, Mel, to take your kids to the nursing home to help. Inspires me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, does that place bring back memories! Grandma was a resident there for around 8 years. I worked there a year before I met Doug. In fact - that's WHERE I met Doug. :) I can't tell you how many times I played that piano! The project looks fun and cheerful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Dana, Mel. You inspired me and reminded me of our church youth group taking us kids to the nursing homes when I was young. I wish churches did that more these days. Your kids are so much richer for this experience!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a treat for the residents to see your young'uns. Great idea and what cute pots.
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  6. When we do things like that, God uses each of us to be a blessing to the other. That looks like a fun day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness your the best mom ever! Taking your kids to the nursing home is so great. The residents love that more than you know. They get a big kick out of seeing you people. Good lesson for kids.

    ReplyDelete