Monday, March 28, 2011

You are NOT gonna believe this!!

Because I could hardly believe my eyes yesterday!!
Do you see it??  Look to the left of the new bluebird homestead. . 
Un-stinking-believable!!
An Eastern Bluebird!!
That's what I said yesterday as I dropped my fork and ran for my camera!! The little doll was drinking at the side of my pond. And was scared off by a car coming up the drive.  I never sited it again by the pond. .but we watched it dive for insects off the fence for quite a while.  I do hope it sticks around. .and brings all it's little friends!! 
It's a good thing Dev and I got a few more of these made!! We had a great time measuring, cutting, and assembling the houses.  He's getting to be quite a hand at the nail gun (which scares the CRAP out of his mother!!).  He and Grant spray painted them yesterday.  I know. .the paint is absolutely hideous. .but it was the best I could find in a small town dime store!! We have two cedar pickets left to turn into houses.  I think that he will stain those two. .and keep one of them indoors until the fair in July.  Hoping Jeremy will help us hang them up this evening in the cold drizzle.  We've had a relapse into winter. Brrr. . 
I did get my grass seed planted this afternoon. .figuring that the drizzle will help it along. While I was collecting laundry out of the boy's room upstairs. .I thought that the  world looked so frigid and still. .I had to capture it!  My Bradford pear tree is blooming. .I can hardly wait until it is big enough to look all white and cottony during its bloom. 
I also shot this different view of the pond.  Much of the muck is clearing out. .and you can see the stones on the bottom. .even from clear up here.  The rocks sticking out of the south end were just unloaded there Friday. I intend to do some bog plantings behind them in the pond. .and hoping to fill much of the soil with plantings soon!!  I'll try to remember to include this view of the pond from now on. .it's easier to get the "big picture" here!  The little cookers will be here soon for another lesson of some sort. .so I'd better get back to planning!! Just wanted to say. . .
If you build it. . .
They will COME!!
Have a great week!

9 comments:

  1. OHHHHHHHHHMMMMYYYYYYYGOOOOOOOSHHH!!!! He/she is so cute!!!! I want one!
    Your pond and yard are looking BEAUTIFUL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad you've "found" the bluebird so soon! Many years ago, I hung hummingbird feeders to prove to my husband that the little birds were here in Kansas. And, as you said...you "build" it, & they will come! Now my neighbors have feeders too, & we all share in the sightings! GREAT JOB, providing safe haven for the pretty birds!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cindys comment makes me wonder.. when DO we put out hummingbird feeders?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so excited for you! We built bluebird houses and yes, they came in droves. Love the little birdies. Did you know that once they were endangered almost to extinction and that people building houses just like you saved these darling creatures. I'm pretty sure he's a scout for the others.~~Dee

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is so awesome that it worked that fast. Love the bird's eye view of your pond.

    Kristi

    ReplyDelete
  6. Becky. .Looks like the rufous hummingbirds have been sighted this week in middle OK. .if I'm not mistaken. .those will be the ones we are likely to see. .but cause I've never had them here. .I don't reall know. .I'm planning on getting my feeder up within the next week or two. .I'd be curious as to when Cindy puts hers out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yea! I love Blue birds! What a beautiful color. Love the Blue bird boxes. You all did a super job. spring is a little slow here too. Rain and in the 30s and 40s.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awwww! That is so cool! That is wonderful that a bluebird came along so fast. That's great that you got a picture before he flew away!!! So wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice bluebird! I don't think I've ever seen one in person.

    ReplyDelete