. .If only in our dreams!
I have heard about craftin' parties and have seen lots of cool articles about hostessing one. .
but I have never been to one. .
Our friend Pat that works at our local clinic is a master crafter.
And somehow, the girls at work decided that we were going to get together to make Christmas trees out of wool.
So we did!! And what a fun time we had.
This little guy was our model. .I know he is a bit hard to see with bright fabrics behind it. .I should have moved the tree.
We started with wool fabric in a piece about 15 X 18-24 inches. We cut them into strips about 2 inches wide. And then cut little fringe along one entire length, leaving about 1/4 inch of intact fabric to hold it together. Now. .I gotta stop to say. .we didn't measure anything. .and we kept reminding each other that the trees were R-U-S-T-I-C!!
And Bambi, marks hers out just like she was told!! These marks would later serve to show us where to put the bottom wire of our "branch" before gluing and taping them on. The square block next to Bam is the base of the tree. .I don't think I showed it anywhere else.
Next we cut floral wire into lengths that were drawn out on the paper. Guessing. .they were between 4-6 inches long, varying lengths and numbers.
Then put a little hook on the end of the wire. We used needlenosed pliers to cut them and hook the ends.
Using Elmer's glue, we covered the wire in glue. .
. .and started swirling the wool fringe pieces around each wire. .
Using a q-tip to spread glue down the wire as we went. You can see Bambi's little pile of "branches."
It looked like this when you got to the end of the wire. .at which time we just secured it with a little more glue and pinched it together for a minute to seal the ends.
It was handier for me to hold the q-tip in my mouth as I worked. .which Pat thought was amusing! And I only put the glue end in my mouth once. .I just washed my mouth out with another sausage ball and all was good.
Pat showed us how to put the branches onto the dowel rod using glue and brown florist tape. .
. .in order to make a feather-duster looking specimen. That was the hardest part. .keeping the wires spaced out on the skinny little dowel rod and get them covered up with tape without them changing location on you.
But it was a success. .and we all went home with our little feather dusters. . with STRICT instructions NOT to move the branches for at least 48 hours. .until the glue had set properly. Then we bent the branches down, and are supposed to affix berries to the ends if we want to (which I do, just haven't done yet). .and
An adorable little Primitive Christmas tree!