Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Fall Food Fest. .Part 2

So far, not much rain has panned out of the damp, cool weather. But it has gotten me motivated to get the greenhouse in order, and to get some cool weather cooking going!! We are all enjoying the fall decorations around the house too.  Last Thursday, was the perfect day to make a pot of chili and these hearty muffins. Good thing too. .as we sat in the stands at Grant's football game that night thinking we couldn't possibly get any colder. .it started to rain. .a dreery, drizzly rain. .but just enough to make us WET and COLD. .and not another drop more!!
I had planned to share Devin's reserve champion muffins long before now, but always another topic came to light first.  When we tried them this summer, I knew they would be a perfect, hearty addition to some winter meals. .and with the imminent onset of chilly weather here. .I made sure that I had the ingredients ready.  I usually like recipes that use the ingredients I have on hand.  But this is one recipe that you just MUST make sure you have ingredients for!! I typically don't have dijon mustard on hand, nor do I keep buttermilk routinely either. But don't forget that you can measure 1 tbsp vinegar into a glass measuring cup and add milk to measure one cup. Let it stand for about 5 minutes to thicken and replace the buttermilk in your recipe with that mixture.
One more thing. .DON'T skimp on the mustard. .it sounds like a lot, but the mustard taste is perfect, not overpowering in the least. Whip up some chili while you are waiting for them to come out of the oven. My opinion is that they are much better warm. .so if you have leftovers. .heat 'em up a little.

Dijon Ham Muffins
1 2/3 cup flour
1/3 cup cornmeal
¼ cup sugar
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp ground mustard
½ tsp salt
½ tsp baking soda
1/8 tsp ground cloves
2 eggs
1 cup buttermilk
1/3 cup vegetable oil
3 Tbsp Dijon mustard
1 cup finely chopped fully cooked ham (we just use the mini food processor)

Combine the first 8 ingredients. Combine the eggs, buttermilk, oil, and mustard; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in ham. Fill muffin cups ¾ full. Bake at 375 for 20-25 minutes or until muffins test done. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to rack.

These really are quick to put together. .I had them on the table in right under 30 minutes.
The weekend is right around the corner. .anyone else ready??

4 comments:

  1. Jacob declared these as "some of the BEST muffins he's ever had" so I'll have to try them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The chili and the muffins both sound good - that photo had my mouth watering!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your boys will thank you one day for teaching the to bake/cook. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness! This looks go good!
    I think I will try this tomorrow. I'm checking now to see if I have the ingredients. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete