Monday, March 21, 2022

El Salvador--Day 2

Day 2!!

 Our first work day. I sit to type in the open air under a Salvadorian sky with my new friends Susanna from Halifax Nova Scotia, and Edwin, a native Salvadorian who taught me what a "moto-taxi" was (they are seen driving all over the place here) And I taught him that it is really called a "golf cart." We sit in the silence of our reflections but in community of One Spirit. It is sweet.

Today was my 49th birthday. And though I deeply missed my birthday partner (my hubby who also turned 49 today), it was a special day that will go down in the history books for me. 

I actually have no pictures, because we went to a boys prison. We couldn't wear our watches in, let alone take in a phone. In fact, in the morning meeting, we were told that if one of us got caught TRYING (or FORGETTING) to take a phone in our pocket, that we could all get in trouble and it might carry a 3-5 year sentence. I promise you, I checked my pockets about 6 times. They also made us bring our passports in. And they kept them. Until we were ready to leave. A bit unnerving for sure!

We started with more team members today. There are 5 of us from the US. Susanna has been here for 7 weeks doing a long term mission and is leaving Wednesday night. She isn't technically part of this team, but she feels like one of the team and was very helpful to us today!! We had the medical director/MD, 2 dentists, a pharmacist, and 2 interpreters. So about 12 of us, including our very skilled van driver. He is amazing!!

We drove 2 hours to get to the department (or we would say state) Tonacatepeque. We were actually within about 15-20 minutes from Guatemala!  The views were great all the way and we went through a number of SO CUTE little villages. The cows are bony and sad looking, chickens roam all the streets, and I rubber necked more than once just making sure I had really seen a goat grazing the median between the road lanes while leashed. 

The prison has been locked down from health care professionals for two years now since the pandemic started. So this was the first visit for many to assess their health. We were encouraged to ask the young men questions about their life goals and career choices, and of course the door was opened to talk about God with them. I had packed 2 books that I found at the Christian book store before I left. One was a daily devotional by Max Lucado called One God, One Plan, One Life, and another called the Revolution, geared at teaching men to become God fearing husbands and fathers and to be biblical men. I also had some story book bibles, which I found out yesterday are bilingual, and will be a great tool to help the kids learn English!

I was allowed to keep the books and give them to the men that I thought would benefit them. I was nervous about that, because, how exactly would I decide which one of the 75 kids would get one?? It turns out, that God orchestrated all of the conversations in a detailed manner, that allowed me to know who was to get each book!!

Last night at about 10:30, our facilitator told us that they would be bringing the young men out in groups of about 10, and that they would be having a short devotional time....and that each of us would have the chance to lead one. I knew EXACTLY what I was going to share, because God put it on my heart last week as our study group finished 2 Chronicles, chapter 33 specifically. I had told my study group what the Lord had taught me about the story of King Mannesah, and that it made me think about what I thought the prison ministry might hold for us this week. 

I reviewed the story this morning...The gist of it was this...Mannessah became the King when he was 12. He was wicked...and did all of the wicked things that HE HAD BEEN TAUGHT. He continued to lead his people in the wicked ways that he wanted to go. The Lord tried to counsel Mannessah, but he refused to listen, leading his people further and further away from God...God finally was provoked to anger...and He allowed the enemy to put a ring in his nose, and bind his ankles and led him away. And finally, when Mannessah had been squeezed long enough by God, he FINALLY cried out to God in his distress. AND GOD HAD COMPASSION. He listened. He loved Mannessah. And He forgave him. He allowed him to reign for 55 years total. That was more time as the King than Solomon or David. What I saw last week was that this young man was taught wickedness...it's what he saw, and what he learned. And then, he was unable to get out of his wickedness because of his own rebellion. But finally, when he was really in a hard spot, his heart became soft to the Lord...and the Lord had compassion. And he gave Mannessah new life...while allowing him to continue to reap some of the consequences of his previous attitude and sin problems. It really resonated to me that many of these prison kids could be much like a Manessah...and that there really wasn't any amount of sin that God wouldn't forgive when they earnestly and humbly sought Him for forgiveness and a new way!

We had 2 pastors there today...so I didn't get to present that story. Well, not to a group anyway. But God is kind...and one of the first young men that I got to talk with told me that he was getting out in a few months. He was really hoping that he would be able to stay on the right track. He told me that he studies his bible mucho...and so I gave him the 2 Chronicles:33 chapter to read to encourage him. I was able to talk to him briefly about the example of Manessah! Then I was able to give him the book about how to be a godly man..which he was excited to get...and he wrote down a book that had changed his life..which I fully intend to read about a prison testimony!! 

The second book was given to a young boy who didn't really know about God's story. He had "heard some stuff" from other pastors that had come, but he was interested in hearing about God's gift of salvation. My translator presented the gospel to him, yet he wasn't sure that he was ready to take that next step. He did want to take the story book bible, so my prayer for him is, that he will read it from cover to cover, and accept Christ in the near future. The local pastor will be following up with him now that they are allowed to visit again.

The third book, another story book bible, went to a young man who had a stand-offish attitude, but I could tell he was definitely listening to me and was willing to engage. He wants to teach math one day, and he wants to learn English. The story book bible will both deepen his faith and teach him how to read and speak some English. He wants to learn to be able to teach others. The book was a perfect fit for him based on our conversation!

The last young man that I saw for the day was so interesting. I thought that I would be taking the last book home for another day....until we got to the very end of our encounter. He asked that I pray for his parents. I pressed him to know whether they were ill, or in conflict, or something specific. He asked that I would pray that they would continue to want to know God. Interesting, and very specific request I thought. I told him that I would definitely pray for that, but that I was most interested in where HE stood with knowing God and wanting to know Him better. He shrugged and smiled. Yeah, maybe sometimes he would like to do that, but sometimes not. He took the last book that had daily devotionals by Max Lucado...I am certain that God sent it just for him and his walk with the Lord!!

El Salvador doesn't import any fruits or veggies, and so that totally makes up for their lack of good meat!! Tonight, I ate my first fresh, ripe papaya. I wasn't sure about the first bite, but ended up eating 3 big chunks. My stomach probably isn't going to appreciate that! We have had grapes that were triple the size of normal grape. I have decided to love Aqua Fresca...which they serve everywhere. Today it was made out of CANTELOUPE!! They blend the fruit and thin it with water and a little sugar as needed. Think really thin smoothie...like pulpy juice. I would have NEVER tried cantaloupe juice. But no one knew what it was until we put our palates together and decided that was what it was!! It is so interesting to see so many stands in the ditch of the roads selling fresh produce. I hope to get some photos of that!

Tomorrow, we will drive about an hour to a very impoverished village to partner with a church to provide medical care for the people. I understand that between our 5 providers we will see 200 patients or so. It will be busy and tiring. But I don't doubt it will be amazing in many ways!!

I'm hoping to be able to journal it tomorrow night because then I will be out of WIFI until sometime Friday evening.

Please continue to pray for the hearts that will feel God's eyes on them this week while we laugh, love, and serve these people. We are getting closer to getting the eyeglasses given away, and so I also pray that needs will be met through those! One of the saddest things about today's ministry was that they won't allow the kids to have eyeglasses in the prison. Two of the boys I saw couldn't read the poster on the wall...My heart broke for them, because I know how terrible it feels to take my contacts out and not be able to see clearly. WOW. 

God is teaching me a lot through this trip already. And He is graciously allowing me to minister, not only to the people of El Salvador, but to the new friends I am making that also have servant hearts! 

Thanks for your prayers!!



No comments:

Post a Comment